Resources for Students
Here is a Back to School Reminder which provides a brief snapshot of what to do next if you may have projects involving human subjects.
Principal Investigator (PI) Oversight Responsibilities and Assurances
As a Principal Investigator (PI) of a human subjects research project requiring IRB approval, there are certain responsibilities when in this role. They are outlined here
Course Related Student Project Policy Revision
If you are a student planning to conduct a course related project that involves human subjects, please review this policy to ensure that your project complies with applicable federal regulations and University of Iowa policies:
- conditions under which IRB approval may not be required
- information that must be disclosed to potential subjects
- tool to help students and course instructors determine if IRB approval may be required
3. Human Subjects Research Determination (HSRD) Form – If a determination cannot be made using the checklist above, you can submit a Human Subjects Research Determination (HSRD) form, through the electronic IRB application system (HawkIRB) to ask whether IRB approval is necessary for your project.
IRB Educational Opportunities
The Human Subjects Office (HSO) provides education and support to student researchers in a variety of methods. If you would like to learn more about training sessions and educational opportunities for Investigators, delegates, and research team members, click here for more information about:
- HawkIRB Training Sessions
- Office Hours
- Research Related Topics
- Classroom Presentations
- IRB Display and Educational Materials
If you would like to learn more about IRB training sessions or obtain educational materials, please feel free to contact the IRB Education and Compliance Program staff.