For New Faculty and Staff Researchers - Welcome to the University of Iowa!
The Office of the Vice President for Research offers many services and collaborative opportunities to help researchers get started at the UI. The Researcher Handbook includes information to help all researchers learn about and find the resources they need within the UI Human Research Protection Program and on the UI campus. The Research Administration units use a web-based survey to begin the onboarding process for new UI faculty and research staff. The survey collects information about the nature and type of your research to help us better assist you with setting up your research program. Based on your responses, representatives from the various Research Administration and Compliance units will contact you to provide guidance and support during this onboarding process.
Follow the link below to complete the survey:
For general information about the survey and the onboarding process for new researchers, please contact Kelly O’Berry, IRB Education and Outreach Manager in the Human Subjects Office (319) 335-8477 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information, follow these links to the websites of the units/offices represented in the survey:
- Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR)
- Research Development Office (RDO)
- Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP)
- Human Subjects Office (HSO) and Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Offices of Animal Resources (OAR) and the Institutional Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
- University of Iowa Research Foundation (UIRF)
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS)
- Information Technology Systems (ITS)
If a PI's Position at the University of Iowa Changes (PI Transfer\Departure Form)
If a Principal Investigator will be leaving his/her UI position, or will be transitioning to an Adjunct status, procedures must be followed to ensure transitioning the human subjects research project occurs smoothly. Review information here located on the Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP) website to begin the notification process to the appropriate Research Administration\Compliance departments. The HSO\IRB will reach out to the department and appropriate research contacts to provide assistance with this transition. The HSO\IRB will expect to see either a project closure form or a modification submitted in eResearch application (HawkIRB) system outlining updates to address the PI’s change in status. A HRPP (Human Research Protection Program) Departure checklist is also available as a tool to ensure appropriate Human Research Protection Program close our requirements are addressed. This checklist is not required as part of the IRB application.
Principal Investigator (PI) Oversight Responsibilities and Assurances
As a Principal Investigator (PI) of a human subjects research project requiring IRB approval, there are certain responsibilities when in this role. They are outlined here.
For Course Instructors, those involved in student related projects, and/or Human Subjects Research
There are various formats for research-oriented UI courses that prepare students to conduct research:
- Research methods course, where students learn about research ethics and study design
- Research seminar, for students to select a research mentor and/or design a research proposal.
Here is a Back to School Reminder which provides a brief snapshot of what to do next if you or one of your students may have projects involving human subjects.
Course Related Student Project Policy Revision
If your research methods course includes a requirement for students to conduct a research project for educational purposes, please review the revised policy to ensure that student projects comply with all applicable federal human subjects regulations and University of Iowa policies:
- conditions under which IRB approval may not be required
- information that must be disclosed to potential subjects
- Checklist for Course-Related Student Projects (download to your desktop for full functionality)
- a tool to help students and course instructors determine if IRB approval may be required
- Human Subjects Research Determination (HSRD) Form – If a determination cannot be made using the checklist above, the student can submit a Human Subjects Research Determination (HSRD) form, through the electronic IRB application system (HawkIRB) to ask whether IRB approval is necessary for a project.
NEW! Faculty Advisor Responsibilities in Human Subjects Research
The University of Iowa IRB has certain expectations of Faculty who oversee students conducting human subjects research requiring IRB approval. These expectations are outlined in the Faculty Advisor Oversight Responsibilities and Assurances.
IRB Educational Opportunities
The Human Subjects Office (HSO) provides education and support to student researchers in a variety of methods. If you would like to learn more about training sessions and educational opportunities for Investigators, delegates, and research team members, click here for more information about:
- HawkIRB Training Sessions
- Office Hours
- Research Related Topics
- Classroom Presentations
- ICON Course for Researchers
- IRB Display and Educational Materials
Contact the IRB Outreach Program regarding opportunities to set up the IRB display or distribute IRB educational materials.