Virtual training sessions are not being offered for Spring 2024. Recordings of the following trainings are available for viewing on IRB ICON COURSES FOR RESEARCHERS.
How to Complete a HawkIRB New Project Application
This two-part training provides an overview of the HawkIRB New Project Application, including guidance to assist you in responding to many of the questions in the form.
Note: Completion of both Parts 1 and 2 satisfies the Student Principal Investigator Training requirement.
Part 1 covers:
- Overview of the HawkIRB system and the IRB review process
- Sections I-VI of the form
Part 2 includes:
- Sections VII-XII of the form
Forms Submitted After IRB Approval - Modification, Continuing Review, Reportable Event Forms (REFs), and Project Close Forms
This training session provides a review of the Project Summary page, an overview of the forms that may need to be submitted to the IRB after approval of the study and a review of Workflow:
- Continuing Review Form
- Modification Form
- Reportable Event Form
- Project Closure Form
- We strongly recommend attending the New Project sessions before attending this session.
- Completion of Part 3 is not required for Student Principal Investigator Training but is highly recommended.
HawkIRB Submissions for the Single IRB Model – Form submission for Lead and Relying Sites
In the Single IRB (sIRB) model, one IRB oversees research at multiple study sites. The UI IRB could serve as the Lead IRB or rely on another IRB to oversee UI research activities. UI researchers must submit a HawkIRB application even when the project is overseen by another IRB. This training provides an orientation to the HawkIRB New Project form and the University of Iowa review process for studies that use the single IRB model.
This presentation may provide useful information even if you have filled out a previous HawkIRB application for the sIRB model.
HawkIRB Application Training for Exempt Research
This training session provides an overview of the exempt New Project Application form including guidance to assist you in responding to many of the questions in the newly revised application for studies that are eligible for exempt status.
- Brief overview of the exempt categories defined in the federal regulations
- Revised Sections IV, V, VII.D, VII.E, VIII and X
- This session will not provide an overview of the HawkIRB system and the IRB review process. We strongly recommend attending the New Project sessions before attending this session if you have never completed a New Project Application in HawkIRB.