The UI owns the primary research results generated from all research conducted under its jurisdiction. Therefore, when a PI plans to leave the UI and wants to take the original data to the new institution, the transfer of the data/samples must proceed according to established guidelines.
If the PI will not have continued access to identifiable research data /samples and is not taking data to the new institution:
- If the study is not complete ‐ submit a Modification form in HawkIRB to change the PI named on the application
- If the study is complete ‐ submit a Project Closure form in HawkIRB
If the PI will take identifiable research data /samples to the new institution, or plans to have continued access, s/he should:
- Submit a Modification form in HawkIRB requesting IRB approval to take the data/samples or to have continued access
- Contact Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP) to determine whether s/he needs a Materials Data Transfer Agreement
- Obtain a letter from the PI’s UI department head that documents awareness/approval of the transfer of the data/samples and outlines the department expectations for the transfer and use of the data/samples