1. What is HawkIRB?
The Human Subjects Office in collaboration with Information Technology Services has developed a web-based IRB application and review system, called HawkIRB.
HawkIRB is a fully-integrated, web-based system for human subject researchers and the IRB. Our goal was to develop a nearly-paperless system that provides much more information to the investigator about the IRB review and approval process as it occurs. Web-based, primarily electronic systems appear to be the future direction for IRBs and investigators, and similar systems are currently being developed at other major academic institutions.
Some major features of HawkIRB are:
- on-line submission of application forms and Consent Documents
- an electronic workflow process through which you will communicate with the IRB regarding review and approval of your applications
- a "My Projects" home page through which you will be able to view detailed IRB workflow information about all of your projects
- IRB approval memos and stamped Consent Documents returned to you electronically -- no more waiting for campus mail
- reminder notices for continuing review sent by e-mail to PIs and contact persons
A summary of the HawkIRB Development and Implementation Process was presented to the Associate Deans for Research on 1/28/04.
All applications for UI IRB review must be submitted through HawkIRB. The HawkIRB system includes:
- applications for new projects, modifications, and continuing reviews
- forms for reporting unanticipated problems and adverse events (REFs)
- consent templates (standard informed consent, VAMC informed consent, UIHC Record of Consent, Assent, Spanish "short form" consent, consent as a letter)
- project closure forms
Consent forms, scripts, advertisements and other materials can be uploaded to HawkIRB during your application.
If you have any problems or questions regarding HawkIRB, check out our FAQ page or contact the HSO staff.
2. Tips for How to Use HawkIRB
The Human Subjects Office has a developed a Frequently Asked Questions page to provide some guidance for how to use HawkIRB.
If you would like to submit a question for consideration as an addition to the FAQ, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Forms Not Available on HawkIRB
Click here for forms and/or instructions that are not available on the HawkIRB system, but that you might be asked to submit with your application.
4. HawkIRB Training
Groups or individuals who need HawkIRB training should contact the HSO at email@example.com or (319) 335-6564.