11. Enrolling Adult Subjects Who Cannot Provide Consent

For research involving a human being as an experimental subject, informed consent must be obtained from the subject or subject’s Legally Authorized Representative (LAR).

If consent is to be obtained from a LAR, the IRB must have first determined that, consistent with 32 C.F.R. part 219, the research is intended to benefit the individual subject. (DoD Instruction, 9.c. Unique DoD Limitations on Waiver of Informed Consent)