Educational Session Opportunities
The University of Iowa Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Human Subjects Office (HSO) are pleased to announce a variety of training and educational opportunities for investigators, delegates and research team members.
Click on the links, or see below, for information about:
- HawkIRB Training Sessions
- Office Hours
- ICON Course for researchers
- IRB Display and Educational Materials
- IRB Connection HSO Newsletter
- IRB List Serve & IRB Advisor
HawkIRB is the web-based IRB application and review system. HawkIRB Training sessions provide basic information about technical aspects of the HawkIRB system and guidance about content for specific sections and questions in the HawkIRB application. These sessions are for anyone preparing to submit a HawkIRB application for the first time and for those who would like guidance about completing HawkIRB forms.
These sessions are intended to teach investigators, delegates, and research team members how to prepare HawkIRB applications to facilitate the IRB review process. There is a two-part HawkIRB Training series. Attendance at the New Project session is recommended before attending the second session on Investigator Responsibilities after IRB Approval.
IRB Office Hours are for all UI faculty, staff, and student Principal Investigators, HawkIRB delegates, and research team members involved with Human Subjects research.
- IRB Office Hours will be held once a week, on Wednesdays (2-4pm), in 101 Hardin Library for the duration of the summer.
- You may contact the Human Subjects Office by phone (319-335-6564) or email (email@example.com) to ask a question or to schedule an individual appointment with a staff member. In September 2015, the IRB Office Hours schedule will return to three days a week for the academic year.
No appointment necessary. First come, first served; computers are available. Objectives:
- Answer questions about conducting human subjects research.
- Provide guidance and answer questions about the electronic application forms in the HawkIRB system.
- Provide suggestions and guidance about study procedures that are in compliance with federal regulations and the UI IRB policies.
- Provide guidance and answer questions about the submission of industry-initiated and industry-sponsored research projects to Western IRB (WIRB).
The IRB offers hour-long presentations on a variety of topics related to human subjects research. These presentations are designed to provide information on topics of interest to Principal Investigators, Study Coordinators, research team members, and members of the University of Iowa research community.
Presentation topic suggestions are always welcome; email ideas to: IRB-Outreach@uiowa.edu
The IRB Education and Compliance Program staff deliver classroom presentations on a variety of research-related topics. We consult with course instructors to create presentations that meet the needs of the students, on topics such as:
- Requirements for course-related student projects
- When and why IRB approval is required
- How to ask whether IRB approval is necessary using the Human Subjects Research Determination (HSRD) form
- What to expect from the IRB review process
- Ethical conduct of human subjects research
- Flexibility in the federal regulations regarding IRB review and informed consent
- Ethical conduct of human subjects research
Contact the IRB Education and Outreach Program staff to schedule a classroom presentation.
The Human Subjects Office is excited to announce the launch of a new web-based education about issues related to human subjects research at the University of Iowa.
University of Iowa faculty, staff, students, and non-University of Iowa investigators engaged in Community-Based Research can access important information about HawkIRB- the web-based IRB application and review system, best practices for the conduct of human subjects research, and other topics of interest to investigators who conduct research involving human participants.
This course is available via Iowa Courses Online (ICON).
Click here for the log-in screen.
If you would like to discuss use of this IRB ICON course as a class or group requirement, or if you have any questions or concerns about the ICON course, please contact IRB-Outreach@uiowa.edu.
The Education and Outreach Program has a table top display about the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and the Human Subjects Office. We welcome opportunities to set up this display and hand out educational materials at research-oriented events such as conferences and workshops, poster sessions, training events for new faculty, staff or students, etc.
The following handouts and flyers are available:
- Schedules for HawkIRB Training Sessions, IRB Presentations & Office Hours,
- Resource Card for Researchers
- Human Subjects Research: An Overview for Researchers
The schedules are available to post on bulletin boards or distribute electronically to researchers at the University of Iowa (UI) and at the Veterans Affairs Health Care System (VAHCS). The Resource Card and Overview for Researchers handouts would be useful for anyone who is conducting research at the UI or the VAHCS; faculty, staff and student researchers.
Contact the IRB Education and Outreach Program staff regarding opportunities to set up the IRB display or distribute IRB educational materials.